Christmas has come and gone. The leftovers are eaten. The tree is down. It’s back to work for a fresh start to a New Year. No better time to start thinking about your marketing efforts. What you are currently doing, what you would like to be doing, what you would like to stop doing.
In today’s digital world of saturated messaging and endless promotional platforms, its more important than ever to take the time to consider the best use of your budget and resources when marketing your business or organization.
With that in mind we’ve created a quick list of Marketing Resolutions for 2018 to help start the year off on the right foot.
- Take the time to think about how to best reach your customers.
Social media? Website? Radio? Email newsletter? What works for one audience won’t necessarily work for another. Taking the time to consider or research where your target market gets its information will help you determine the best medium to use when promoting your business to avoid wasting time and resources.
- Take time to consider your marketing budget.
If you are currently spending anything in marketing, it is crucial to revisit the methods and to ask yourself a few key questions about the effort:
- Am I seeing a measurable return on the investment? Many of today’s marketing methods provide in depth data about a campaign’s performance including reach and conversions which allow you to evaluate whether the promo was worth the investment. Don’t settle for throwing ad dollars into the wind with no measurability and validation of effectiveness.
- Is my business being accurately portrayed in my promotion? Image and positioning are important, and if your public isn’t seeing an accurate version of your business, it can affect your competitive edge. Make sure your marketing dollars are helping align your actual business identity with your promotion efforts.
- Think about mobile.
Now more than ever, business and purchasing decisions are made on smartphones and mobile devices. Have you taken your business to the web? If yes, is it mobile friendly? Are your web listings up to date with proper contact information? A few stats to consider:
- 88% of consumers who search for a type of local business on a mobile device call or go to that business within 24 hours. (Nectafy)
- 57% of users say they won’t recommend a business with a poorly designed mobile site. (CMS Report)
- Users spend on average 69% of their media time on smartphones. (comScore)
- Consider your online reputation.
With most consumers looking to the web to make their buying decisions, your online reputation, or lack thereof, can be a key factor. An effective online presence can help set the tone for your business’ image online, address frequently asked questions or misconceptions, and can help customers develop a positive impression.
- Don’t forget about email!
Social media marketing can certainly be a major driving force for your marketing efforts, but it’s important not to leave email marketing out of the mix. A strong mailing list, consistent delivery, and branded content can be key in keeping your customers informed and engaged into your products or services.
Keeping existing customers and reaching new ones not only means providing great service or having a great product. It means communicating your business’ value in ways that will reach the right people for the right cost. Managing this mix can be a tough task, but with some key marketing resolutions you can start the new year with a solid plan for success!